Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Gourmet Grilled Cheese

I'm sorry I forgot to post a Get Ready for the Weekend Wednesday item yesterday. The holiday threw me off schedule and I completely forgot it was Wednesday yesterday. In any case, I thought it would be good to shake things up a little bit so I'm trying something different this time.
I am a very fortunate person because we have a GREAT dining center at work. Last week, I ordered a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich with tomato basil bisque soup and was completely blown away by the meal's quality. It was one of the best lunches I've had EVER.

Since I have a bit of an obsessive-compulsive thing when it comes to food, I searched high and low for a recipe that will help me duplicate my grilled cheese dining experience. Unable to find one, I went ahead and created my own.

I'm sharing my recipe below (thanks, Jen for suggesting) just so I can get some variety in my posting. If you're going to try the recipe, let me know how you like it. If you're going to make a variation, let me know of that too so we can all improve.

Gourmet Grilled Cheese

Two slices of Yellow Texas Toast bread (very thick slices)
2 slices of Medium Cheddar cheese
2 slices of Medium Colby cheese
2 slices of Applewood Smoked Bacon or Center Cut Bacon
4 thin slices of Granny Smith apple
½ teaspoon (or less) of orange marmalade
Soft Butter or Whipped Butter

Cook the bacon in the microwave to your liking. For this sandwich, I prefer to have my bacon just done and not crispy.

I butter the outside of my bread first and lay the bread slices, butter side down, on wax paper.

The sandwich assembly is the key part of this. Layer cheddar slice on top of each bread piece then top with slice of colby. Put the bacon pieces in a criss-cross pattern on top of one side; arrange the apple slices on the other side. Spread a little bit of orange marmalade on top of the apple slices, then put the sandwich together.

Cook your sandwich in your preferred method (I personally use a sandwich/panini press). Eat the sandwich while it's still hot with tomato soup or a glass of milk. Enjoy!

No comments: